Monday, July 20, 2009

More Unbelievable Treasures!!


I really did feel like I was looking in treasure chests as I went through my mother's sewing and crafting bags, boxes, etc. I remember when she ordered the fillet crochet pattern above for the Lord's Prayer. I remember thinking, what a unbelievable undertaking!

I found this first. This was the work she finished. I guess you work the pattern from the bottom up. If you click on the photo, you can see a much clearer photo of the words - the end of the Lord's Prayer. It is just beautiful.

At first, I couldn't decide what to do with it and then I decided to take it and try to finish it. I may be taking on too much with this AND the cathedral window quilt but I just couldn't let them go. It's too much work.

Here's a close-up of her work. I've done fillet crochet before but it's been a long time. I will have to practice a little scrap piece first but I know I can finish it. It's just taking the time to do it!

I saw this framed and hanging in the foyer of a church where I attended a wedding in Tennessee and it was so beautiful! My mother did phenomenal work and took on phenomenal projects!

4 comments:

Elyse said...

So I haven't been on here in a while. I did see your story about your mother and I cried, of course. I'm so sorry to hear of her passing but I know she's with our Father and I'm jealous to know she is so happy there!
As for your note on my blog - thanks about the comment of Troy being the "best" or best "dressed" boy - you're very sweet. I know I won't be able to make as much with the next child so I figure why not go all out with this one, right? I did do the picture smocking and I've finished a few other pictures as well. The first one was rough and I'm getting better as I go along. I did a tiger one that had a buillon (sp?) knot wrapped 40 times - that was hard to me! That cow/farmer one was the first I've put in an outfit and as you can see, I didn't get the cable rows exactly straight. I figure the first one shouldn't be perfect, though :) I don't want to put the other ones I've finished in outfits yet because I want to make sure he can wear them during the appropriate season (as in I might have to make them with shorts or long legs).
OMG, I LOVE your mothers creations. I hope you put as many on your blog as possible. They're gorgeous. I can see where you get your blessed talent. I don't know how you can do all that you've done. That cathedral quilt is unbelievable!

jipsy said...

I remember this too.

Sherry said...

Marty, I really think I can finish this if I put my mind to it!

Elyse, thank you for your kind comments. You know my mother absolutely adored your mother and all of your family. You are doing great with the pic smocking! It's inspiring me to practice again!

audreypawdrey said...

This is gorgeous! It will be wonderful to help finish it that way you both worked on it, and it will have a little piece of both of you.